Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Galapagos: Diving Gordon Rocks

IMG_6295 Second Day of diving.  Today is Gordon Rocks, a bit farther away than the diving site yesterday.  I was the only passenger for Nautidiving, so they sent me to a different company which in turn sent me to a third one (I didn’t have to do anything, it was just a change of meeting place).  This company wasn’t as good as Nautidiving, offering a very simple lunch.  However, their dive masters (we had two) were very good.  Given the distance to get there (1 hour on a speed boat each way), we only did 2 dives plus the buoyancy check.  The ride was also very bumpy with one person getting very seasick.  My companions were one person from the US (Laura) and three Israelis.  As I did my buoyancy check the previous day, I just did snorkeling at the check site.  No jelly fish this time.

Here are the stats for the dive:

Dive Max Depth Avg Depth Bottom Time
1 94ft 61ft 38mins
2 70ft 42ft 42mins

IMG_6492 Gordon Rocks was a more advanced site with deeper dives and very strong currents.   The diving place is basically an eroded crater with the bottom of the crater, surrounded by two broken semi-circular walls.  The inside of the crater goes down to 95ft while the outside wall goes to a depth of more than 450ft.

The highlights of the dives were the encounter with a huge sunfish and a school of hammerhead sharks.  There were also some coral (unusual in Galapagos) on the inside walls plus turtles and lots of fish inside the crater.

IMG_6306 Beautiful coral
IMG_6310 Sunfish
IMG_6313 Laura
IMG_6320 Green Turtle

IMG_6321

IMG_6324 Hammerhead Shark
IMG_6333 School of fish and diver
IMG_6334 Streamer Hogfish
IMG_6352 Turtle and Laura

IMG_6366

Two different kind of star fish

After the dive, I decided to have an extra day of diving the following day.  Originally I was scheduled for a tour of the highlands as the package assumes that you fly after the diving program, but given that I wasn’t doing that, diving was a possibility.  After scoring a place on a boat to Floreana, I went for dinner with the Israelis and Laura.